A little while ago, I was checking traffic to another one of my blogs and saw that for one visit coming in, the referring page was from this blog. Curious, I dug into the details and saw that the referring post was one of the oldest on this blog, and that it was attempting to find another post on this blog. The problem was that when I first set up this blog, it used a subdomain of brucefwebster.com/aim rather than its own domain. Apparently, when I set up the separate adventures-in-mormonism.com domain and moved the blog over, I failed up modify any of the links among AIM posts that already existed. So for, oh, five years or so, they’ve been sending people to non-existent pages over at brucefwebster.com. Not sure how I missed that before now. I just went through and manually edited all the posts with the outdated links.
UPDATE [1810 MDT] — Further searching found that there are some external websites that link to the old brucefwebster.com/aim pages. I tried doing some .htaccess rule writing of my own, but couldn’t get it to work. So I found a WordPress plugin (Safe Redirect Manager) that worked with my first attempt. This means that if there are any outdated links still lurking in my own posts as well, they’ll get automatically redirected. ..bruce..